Happy Sunday, everyone! I just returned home from a lovely bachelorette weekend in Asheville celebrating my friend, Katie, the soon to be bride. In honor of the occasion, I decided it was high time I gave this vegan jello shot thing a try.
Jello shots are arguably the most perfect party treat. Tasty and boozy, but not too strong, these babies will have even your most conservative guests calling out, “Shots, shots, shots, shots, shots!” (Singing to the tune of LMFAO, of course)
The first step is to remove the pulpy flesh part of the limes. This is a tedious task, but once you get the hang of it, it’s not so bad. Begin by cutting the lime in half and squeezing out as much juice as possible. You’ll need a quarter cup for this recipe, but you’re probably going to end up with way more than that, which means that this is the perfect opportunity to also try a Mexican Martini.
The trick is to peel large pieces of the flesh out by starting at the corners of the lime. It helps if you flip the lime inside out, too, and it especially helps if you have an assistant like my fabulous sister-in-law, Caroline!
Once you’ve got your limes ready, balance them on a mini cupcake pan so that they form little cups and make the vegan cosmopolitan jello using cranberry juice, lime juice, agave, vodka, cointreau, and agar powder. Unlike a typical jello shot, these are made with fruit juices and agave instead of lots of refined sugar. The agar powder is the vegan substitute for the gelatin.
When your jello mixture is ready, pour it into the lime halves, filling them all the way to the top. At this point, your jello mixture will be completely liquid, don’t worry, it will solidify in the fridge.
- 10-12 limes
- 1 cup cranberry juice
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice (strained to remove pulp)
- ¼ cup agave nectar
- ¾ cup vodka
- ¼ cup cointreau
- 1¼ tsp. agar powder
- Make sure that all of your ingredients are at room temperature.
- Slice your limes in half long ways and squeeze out lime juice. Save ¼ cup of lime juice for this recipe.
- Flip the lime inside out. Starting at one end, use your finger or a spoon to peel the flesh of the lime away from the rind. After most of the flesh is removed, scrape out the inside with a spoon to remove any remaining pulp.
- Flip the lime half back to its original shape and balance open side up on a mini cupcake pan.
- Whisk together the cranberry juice, agave and lime juice in a small pot.
- Sprinkle the agar powder on top and allow it to soak in for 5 minutes.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce heat. Allow the mixture to simmer for about 3 minutes until the agar powder is completely dissolved.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vodka and cointreau.
- Pour the jello mixture into each lime half. You'll want them filled as close to the top as possible without overflowing.
- Transfer to the refrigerator and allow to set for about 2 hours.
- Once set, cut each lime half in half again. To do this, place the limes jello side down and use a sharp serrated knife to cut through the rind. If your jello shot comes out of the lime, it needs more time in the fridge.
- Serve and enjoy!