Fortunately, there is tempeh bacon to satiate my cravings. Here, I’ve used it to create Tempeh BLT Wraps which are a twist (quite literally) on the traditional BLT.
Picture a standard (vegan) BLT. It’s got tempeh bacon, lettuce, tomato and vegan mayo between two slices of bread. Okay, now turn it inside out. That’s the best way I can think to describe this recipe.
The bread is replaced by gluten-free friendly quinoa and the lettuce gets an upgrade becoming the wrap that holds it all together. I added avocado in with the tomato and tempeh bacon simply because I love it and enhanced the mayo with agave, dijon mustard, and lemon juice.
And there you have it…a vegan, gluten-free BLT.
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, leaves separated to create wraps
- ½ cup dry quinoa, cooked and cooled
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1 pkg. Tofurky Smoky Maple Bacon Tempeh
- 2-3 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 3 tbsp. vegan mayonaise
- Salt & pepper to taste
- ½ tsp. agave nectar
- ½ tsp. dijon mustard
- ½ tsp. lemon
- Heat the vegetable oil in a frying pan. Test the oil by adding a small piece of tempeh. It's hot enough when the tempeh bacon sizzles. Cook for about 2 minutes per side until nicely browned.
- Allow the tempeh bacon to cool on a cooling rack. It should get a little crisp. In the meantime prep your veggies. If using optional ingredients, mix them with the vegan mayo.
- Toss the quinoa in the vegan mayo and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide the quinoa, tomatoes, avocado, and tempeh bacon amongst 4-6 lettuce wraps.
- Serve and enjoy!
*These should only take about 20 mins. if your quinoa is already cooked.