After a winter that seemed like it would never end, spring has finally arrived in Charlotte. Let the season of sitting poolside, soaking up sunshine, and sipping sangria commence immediately! I’ve got the perfect recipe to get you started.
The story of this delightful beverage began about a year or so ago when we discovered the sake cocktail menu at Elizabeth Street Cafe in Austin, TX and promptly decided that we needed to figure out a way to make our own asap. Luckily, a quick google search brought me to this wonderful list of sake cocktails and we’ve been serving these up ever since. This sake and plum wine sangria is my favorite. For parties, I like to triple the recipe and serve it in a large punch bowl.
In truth, this is more of a summer drink, but the grocery store is starting to stock watermelon and this drink is really just too good to wait another two months to make. Best served with sunshine! Enjoy!
- 750-mL Sake (Check Barnivore for vegan sake options)
- 1½ cups Kikkoman Plum Wine (or other vegan brand)
- ¾ cup watermelon, cubed
- 1¼ cups honeydew, cubed
- ginger ale
- Muddle ½ cup of watermelon and 1 cup of honeydew.
- Add the sake and plum wine and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Add remaining watermelon and honeydew.
- Serve over ice and top each glass with a splash of ginger ale.